A Travellerspoint blog

Bangkok and Beyond

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster...

Well Bangkok is the center of the universe when it comes to SE Asia, but our senses were surely shocked even before hitting that crazy place. When Michelle and I left Sihanoukville heading west to Bangkok our thoughts and emotions centered around the sad fact that our trip was coming to an end. Reminiscing about our long journey thus far, our bus stopped for our final land crossing of the trip. We thought once we landed in Hawaii that our body and minds would be out of sorts after traveling through 3rd world countries, but walking into Thailand, one would think they were somewhat back in the States.

There are freshly paved roads, manicured shrubbery along the highway and after about an hour driving from the border, our bus broke down and stopped at a 7 Eleven. Shocking that our bus broke down, right? After another very, very long 14 hour bus ride, we were dropped off at Khao San Road, Bangkok.

For many of you who haven't been to Khao San I would safely say that it's the largest concentration of backpackers on the planet. At night, it looks like a mini Vegas strip all condensed in one city block. You can get everything from a fake college diploma, brass knuckles, tattoos and a double tall nonfat latte from Starbucks. When I was here 7 years ago, Khao San was a much different place. You couldn't go to a 24hr Burger King, get a foot-long sub from Subway or get a latte from Starbucks. It's now become a brand.

In Cambodia, Michelle and I decided we would actually stay in the center of Bangkok, away from Khao San. We soon realized this was a mistake. Our hotel was very nice, but the location and its surroundings were geared more to the chic tourists and not the mellow backpackers we've been used to. We really felt out of place. We already paid ahead of time for our three nights stay, but outside of sleeping at our hotel, we spent the majority of our time on Khao San.

Our time in Bangkok centered around drinking Chang beer, getting a Thai massage for Michelle and doing some last minute shopping for ourselves. Actually our last big purchase was a beautiful Thai pillow for our new apartment. We didn't realize at the time, this purchase would cause us problems.

Fast forward...Landing in Honolulu and going through customs, our pillow was confiscated due to the contents within. Customs cut the pillow open and showed us that the stuffing inside contains a particular straw that is dangerous to agriculture. Hawaiian agriculture and customs are sticklers for items coming onto the islands. 7 years ago, I brought one of these pillows home, although the customs agents in Los Angeles didn't bat an eye.

Other than this slight bump arriving to the States, our trip in Hawaii was a great place to decompress and reflect on the past 6 weeks of travel. We watched Justin graduate Magna Cum-laude in Information Systems from Hawaii Pacific University, hung out with my family and stared for countless hours from my dad's amazing view from his condo.

Michelle and I spent a week in Hawaii, although less than 24 hours from landing in LA, we got an emergency phone call from Sean, the person helping us find an apartment in San Francisco. He asked "how quickly can you be in SF?" But let me back up a few days...Imagine Hawaii, two days in, Sean calls about an AMAZING apartment in SF. The place allowed pets, totally remodeled, close to a dog park and in a neighborhood Michelle and I wanted to live in. Perfect...we want it. Unfortunately, the policy of the company that owns the building is that we must see the place first before we can sign the lease. Well this wasn't too convenient. For 5 days we went back and forth with phone calls, emails and faxes to see if we could get around this problem. This was way too much stress and anxiety for us to cope with having just landing in the states. Flying home was out of the question. So we left it to fate. When we get home, we would stick to the original plan of driving up to SF the following weekend and see the "fantabulous" apartment at that time, that is assuming, of course, that no one had snapped it up before then. Sadly, things don't necessarily work out the way you want them to.

Sean's phone call gave us less than 24 hours to get to SF, view the apartment and sign the lease, or else the apartment would be given to someone else. Michelle and I got into the car at 9:30p (we had been home for less than 24 hours) and drove north, 20 minutes outside of San Francisco, arriving at 3 am for a quick sleep at Motel 6. By this point the two of us were physically and emotionally exhausted. We saw the place early that morning, signed the lease and drove back home...

With the pressure of finding a place in San Francisco away, we are all geared up to start this next adventure in our lives.

Thank you all for taking the time to read our blog and following our journey.

Our home is always open in San Francisco to anyone that wants to visit. We have plenty of room:)

Posted by charley08 11:14 Archived in USA

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint